Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday

Well, I did it. I wasn't sure I wanted to try, but I decided to go ahead. When I was a younger mom, I really didn't mind the crowds and the lines. As I've gotten older, I have come to the conclusion that the crowds and the lines aren't always worth it. I don't particularly enjoy the nervous feeling I get while wondering if I will find that "good deal" that I am there to buy. My oldest two boys and their cousin ventured out at 3:00 am for the Old Navy deals. Not sure if they actually got anything there. But I gave them the assignment of getting a few things at Target for me, cause that is where the cousin needed something too. Around 3:30 am my son called to tell me the line at Old Navy for the jackets was too long, so I told him not to worry about it. But now that meant I needed to get over to Sears to try and get a couple of their 12.99 coats. New coats for 12.99 is a great deal for my brood. Plus I had a $10 off $50 coupon. So, at 4:00 am I took my sleeping baby and myself out to the truck. Everyone else in the house was still soundly sleeping when I locked the door. I left Chris a note telling him what I was doing. Do you know what I learned this morning at 4:00 am? That the brain can think 3 or more different thoughts all at the same time and within the time frame of a couple of seconds. Our neighborhood frequently has transients walking through and asking for money. So, as I was buckling the baby in his car seat, I reminded myself to be observant, so I kept my eyes on the road and the end of the driveway. After I buckled him in, I turned around to walk around the front of the truck and saw someone standing in front of me. I thought to myself; Why aren't the dogs barking? Where did that person come from? I need to tell him I have no money to give. I also put my body in a self defensive stance. And then I recongnized that it was Chris, my husband, standing there in the dark. It was only a mere second or two and my adrenaline was pumping so fast, that I told him he had to hold me for a minute as I felt faint after realizing I was safe. (I have pretty low blood pressure, so when the blood stopped pumping so quick from my fright, I felt dizzy. I'm really not such a sissy.) He held me as I calmed down. Good grief! I was NOT expecting to see him or anyone standing there. After my blood pressure returned to normal, I got in the truck and left to go to Sears for their sales. I got exactly what I needed there, yay! Then I drove past Target and decided against stopping there because the lines were 500 long! Then I went over to Office Max, was FIRST in line and got a great deal on a wireless, color laser printer for 99.00!! I can't wait till I can open it at Christmas. I do a lot of printing for our homeschool, so I really hope this turns out to be a money saver in printing costs. I am now home and thankful for the good deals I got that will really help my family. If I get up some more gumption, I may go back over to Sears for their 9.99 jeans with my other 10 off 50 purchase. If I go, I should be able to get 5 pairs of jeans for 40! I like those numbers.

Micah 5:2
But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose coming forth is from of old, from ancient days.

2 comments:

Tonia said...

Husband appearing like that would have scared me to death!! Your mind can go 90 to nothing in a few seconds like that!!LOL
I braved Black Friday one time!!! I doubt I ever will again.. Lol I dont like the lines and the grumpy people! Of course to get a good selection of stores I would have to go at least an hour away. Otherwise its just Walmart.. So nope I dont go..

Heather said...

I never brave the Walmart here in the city. It's an insane madhouse! Nothing is worth going into that store. The other retail places aren't as bad. Except for Toys R Us. I don't go there either. I really needed a new printer though, and had been looking at them for a while. I was told the laser printers would print more pages before needing ink, and since I usually spend more than $100 on ink in a year, I thought I'd give this one a try and it comes with ink to start with. We'll see!