Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Second Born

Well, since nothing exciting happened today, I think I shall write a little about Christopher, my second born. When he was born, he changed everything I thought about babies. My first had cried ALL the time. I wasn't even sure I wanted a second. And then he came. The most serene and calm baby in the world. He watched everything that went on around him with such sweet contemplation. He observed his big brother in action and learned from him. He learned what to emulate and what to avoid. Pretty smart kid. As he grew, his quiet, content spirit was something I admired. He loved the flowers and the insects, like most kids do, I suppose. But he would just watch them and seemed genuinely intrigued by them. Innocence sparkled in his eyes. I always enjoyed, and still do enjoy looking into his eyes. Deep, dark brown, large and full of curiosity and love. Now, as a young man in his teen years, he blesses me much more than I would have ever dreamed. He is kind and thoughtful, helpful and loving. He gives the most gentle of kisses and is ready to help me with the baby every night as I have to go through putting all of Benjamin's tubes and wires on him. Also, when we got a piano about 3 years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that he could play by ear quite easily. He gets weekly lessons from my mother in law and he plays so well while reading music too. I love to listen to him play. He's a great carpenter too, takes after his papa! He's always making something out of wood. For my birthday, he used an old window glass and some old wood to make me a "stressed" picture frame. I love it! I can't wait for my older, photographer son to get me a good family picture to put in it. Christopher also makes wooden name signs for his friends for their birthdays. So, if you haven't invited Christopher to your birthday yet, you ought to so you can get a handmade name sign. :) He loves working with Papa and will be such a wonderful worker when he is older. Slow and steady, to be sure, but great with detail. He loves the Lord and reads his bible of his own volition everyday. I frequently "catch" him on his knees in prayer. I quietly turn away when I do, so as not to disturb his time with the Lord. He has the entire first two chapters of the book of Jonah memorized. Because he likes the book of Jonah. Amazing!! So, I will be jealous of the girl who wins his heart, because he has so much love and care to give and he is so good at it. Whoever she may be, she better be Far Above Rubies in worth!

3 comments:

Tonia said...

He sounds like a sweetheart! Sometimes looking at my girls I think how can they be so alike but so Very different! Coming from the same family you share many things but they are their own individual person for sure!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what to say, but I was so touched by your love for your son. I was especially blessed by finding him on his knees in prayer, what an awesome thing to know our children have that kind of relationship with the Lord on their own time.

Heather said...

Thank you both. I hope I didn't make him sound like I think he is perfect, but I was wanting to focus on his good qualities. Our children are such individuals, that is for sure!